The Art of Writing
I enjoy writing and telling stories. And I do a lot of writing in professional, academic, technical, personal and fictional styles. Over the years, I’ve written many articles and started a few novels. Below is just a small sample of my better writing.
Novels & Short Stories
- A Collection of Shards – [In progress] – A collection of stories gathered by a Keeper and Hibernation-survivor companion from the remains of a once prosperous human city that fell into ruin.
- Under a Clear Cold Night Sky (working title) – [Planned] – A story for a fictional child, Claire, about the fate of humanity when the Sun mysteriously stopped existing. Written as anthology spanning decades of humanity trying to survive on a wandering post-Solar Earth.
- Californian Dreams – [In progress] – A collection of non-fiction stories of my own adventures while living in California.
- Learning to Love God – A short Catholic religious piece I wrote for the now-defunct Alexandrian magazine.
- Negotiations – A flash science fiction story submitted but rejected by the 365 Tomorrows flash science fiction site.
Articles and Reviews on Free Software
- A Free Society Needs a Free Market and Free Software – An blue skies article about the need of freedom in the market economy and in software, to help the continuation and increase of liberty for society in general.
- Review of Ontario Linux Fest 2009 – A review and summary of notes of my attendin OLF2009.
- KDE & Linux: An Explanation for the Uninitiated – An article introducing new users to the Linux operating system and KDE desktop environment.
- Two-Part Review of the Ubuntu 7.10 Beta release – Part 1: Initial Impressions, Part 2: Settling in with Gutsy
- The Penguin and the Rusty Wrench – A howto guide to fix a Linux-XOrg screen resolution problem on Toshiba Satellite 2410 notebooks.
Articles on Game Theory and Design
- Serenity in Gaming – An article on the use of ambiance and game play to develop a serene organic feel in games. Reviews Jenova Chen’s Flow.
- Gaming: Simplicity, Good Graphics and Open Source Gaming – An article on the effective use of graphics in games.
- Retro-gaming: Torus Trooper – Short review of the Torus Trooper game.